Studio Policies & Class Etiquette
Please note the following guidelines regarding all classes:
1. DRESS CODE: We request that students carefully observe our dress code outlined in this booklet. Buns are required for all ballet classes. If your family is having difficulty for any reason in following the dress code, please let us know. We will do our best to help. The dress code is included in this booklet as well as on our website under “Existing Students”
2. ARRIVING LATE: For your safety and to receive full benefit from your class, any student arriving more than 15 minutes late may not be admitted to class or may be asked to observe. Teachers have the right to make this decision. Students should enter quietly and not disrupt the class or distract other students in class. Please arrange for a make-up class if you expect to be very late. This can be done online or by calling the office.
3. LEAVING THE CLASSROOM: All students are encouraged not to leave the room once class has begun. Please use the restrooms prior to class and send your child with a filled water bottle into the class room.Very young children will be treated sensitively as the need arises. Preschool children may need a parent’s attention from time to time for various reasons including bathroom or behavior issues. Please do not leave the waiting room when very young children (18 mos.-4 yrs.) are in class without informing the office or having another parent responsible during your absence. We make every effort to have all children feel safe and cared for in a loving and inspiring learning environment.
5. CLASS DISRUPTION: School age children and teens: Please practice respect. Students are not to be socializing in a disruptive manner during the class with other students. Please come early or stay late to enjoy friends in the waiting area. Please honor your teacher and fellow students by giving full attention and co-operation. Parents, you will be advised if we feel any student is not well adjusted to the classroom environment for any reason over time.
6. FEELING UNWELL OR SUSTAINING INJURY IN-CLASS: During class if a student complains of being ill, or sustains an injury and cannot participate, the instructor will use their best judgment and either have them sit out or send them to the office were the parents will be notified if not on the premises. Please review the waiver you have signed
7. COMING TO CLASS IF SICK OR INJURED: We encourage that injured students or students with a non-contagious illness observe their classes. The parents must notify the office if a student is will be observing class. A note, email or phone call will suffice. See our policies on our website on how to make up a class.
8. VISITORS TO CLASS; Out of town guests may request to visit at any time throughout the year. They are welcome to watch the class with prior notice. Otherwise, no one else is allowed to sit and watch during regular class time.
9. BEHAVIOUR IN CLASS: Students should be respectful to the teacher and their peers. Attentive listening, following directions and a positive personality is encouraged. Hanging on the ballet barres and touching the divider wall is not permitted. Please raise your hand if you would like to ask the teacher a question. Talking with peers during class is not encouraged unless participating in a group or partner task.
Dance class is educational and fun, however, an important part of class work is developing an attitude of discipline and respect for teachers and fellow students. We trust that following our classroom etiquette will provide an environment whereby classes at Conservatory of Dance & Music will be a pleasure for all concerned.